It’s the end of August and before you know it, school will be back in session. We all know how time consuming meal-prep can be. Forgot? Ran out of time? Practice ran late? Quotacy has you covered on tips to keep it simple and cost-effective and also some family-favorite, quick and easy school-night meals.
It always takes a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of things, before the new weekday routine is in place. For me, the most challenging part of school starting back up is getting a healthy meal prepared on time, that’s also affordable and not a frozen pizza or leftovers (again).
School Night Meal Tips:
- Plan ahead. This not only prevents splurging for pizza or fast food, but also ensures you’ll have all the groceries you need.
- Make lists and organize your recipes. Categorize them by healthy, inexpensive, quick and easy, etc.
- Keep healthier snacks on hand for between meals such as popcorn, yogurt, granola bars and fresh fruit.
- Pick a handful of recipes and perfect them. Don’t try and conquer 20 new recipes to impress your kids. Once you have the few down, continue to add in more variety.
- Keep a handful of heat-and-eat meals on hand. All you need is a pan and a few ingredients!
- Incorporate the “breakfast for dinner” theme into rotation. It is the ultimate comfort food in a pinch!
- When the opportunity is there, buy in bulk. It’s typically cheaper to buy in larger quantities, and you’ll need to make fewer trips to the store.
With a family constantly on the go, quick and easy school night meals are essential. With a little planning, preparation and some great trips, you’ll be mastering the busy weeknights in no time!
No more 5pm meal planning! With a little thinking-ahead and easy recipes, we’re here to help make your school night meals less stressful. If you’re anything like me, you probably find yourself making the same school night meals over and over again. Why? Because it happens. I get it!
Here are some tasty school night meals that are simple to make and don’t take a lot of time, that even some of the pickiest eaters will like, without being overly complicated or costly.
15 Easy School Night Meals:
- Simple Beef Stroganoff: An easy comfort meal for a busy weekend. It’s filling, cost-effective and makes enough for leftovers! It is composed of noodles and beef with mushrooms in a creamy gravy. After a long day at work and school, it’s sure to please your family!
- Easy Skillet Lasagna: Not only does this recipe take 30 minutes or less and one pan, but it’s the ultimate cheesy comfort food that’s much simpler than a traditional lasagna. Impress your kids after a busy school day with this delicious and easy rendition.
- Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu: This is a simple dish for your family, and comfort food at its best. This step-by-step recipe makes a delicious school night meal simple for the busiest of parents during the week.
- Simple Beef Stew: This recipe can either be made on the stove top or in a slow cooker, depending on your preference and how busy the school night is. It’s easy and made with hearty meat and vegetables and is sure to please the pickiest of kids.
- Easy Chicken Tacos: These easy chicken tacos are loaded with flavor and can be prepped and cooked within 30 minutes and are perfect for weeknight meals.
- Sausage & Vegetable Skillet: In under 30 minutes, you can have a filling school night meal that’s sure to please the entire family… loaded with vegetables and meat for a quick, healthy choice!
- Healthier Tator Tot Hotdish: This is a classic dish that many don’t like to fool around with… however, this lighter version is easy to make (you can freeze it for another night too) and perfect for a school night meal.
- Chicken, Bacon & Swiss Sandwiches: On busy nights, sometimes the best treat is a sandwich. This meal is not only nutritious, but also incredibly simple to make with very few ingredients.
- Classic Spaghetti & Meatballs: Spaghetti is a classic family dinner that is sure to please everyone. This is a simple recipe that is ready in 30 minutes!
- Easy Meatloaf: For a quick comfort food, try this meatloaf recipe. It’s easy, takes only a few ingredients and can be prepped and ready to eat in under an hour for the perfect school night meal.
- White Cheddar Mac & Cheese with Chicken & Broccoli: Let’s spice up a classic comfort food with some protein and vegetables that is incredibly quick, easy and perfect for busy weeknights.
- Easy Ham & Swiss Sliders: This is typically seen as a favorite party or potluck dish, but it is also a fast, easy and fun school night meal for the entire family.
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie: Pot pie is one of everyone’s favorite comfort foods. This recipe incorporates simpler ingredients to create a school night meal that everyone is excited for.
- Easy Pizza Casserole: Instead of cooking a frozen pizza, take a turn on this easy casserole recipe that tastes even better, and is simple, quick and homemade!
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast: If you’re in the mood for some classic comfort food, look no further. This simple pot roast recipe is made in the slow cooker so after a long day, you’re able to sit down to a healthy school night meal in minutes.
With a family constantly on the go, quick and easy school night meals are essential. With a little planning, preparation and some great trips, you’ll be mastering the busy weeknights in no time! Don’t fret if you’re still banking on leftovers or take-out here and there, and remember that every little step is still progress and getting dinner on the table after a long day at school or work doesn’t have to be time consuming or expensive.
About the writer
Digital Marketing Strategist
Beth has over a decade of marketing experience ranging everywhere from the newspaper industry to the medical field. Her true passion is helping companies grow and flourish, which is why she’s the perfect fit for Team Quotacy and their value system. Outside of working, Beth loves anything outdoors, live music, traveling and spending time with her son.