Recently, the world was introduced to Caitlyn Jenner; the Olympic Gold Medalist is bringing the term transgender into news feeds everywhere. So, how does being transgender pertain to life insurance?
Just like people, insurance companies have many differences, and life insurance policies are not one-size fits-all. Generally, when someone applies for life insurance, if their assigned sex at birth was female, they should apply as female, and if their assigned sex at birth was male, they should apply as male. This would include individuals whose gender identity differs from their assigned sex at birth, but who have not undergone any medical or physical transition. When a person is or has used hormone therapy treatment and/or has had any gender affirming surgeries, it will not only affect the rates for which they apply, it may also affect the requirements needed during the underwriting process.
Recently, we worked with an applicant who had surgically transitioned from male to female. We completed an underwriting study, which is when we go to the carriers and ask what they think they could offer our applicant, and the responses varied. Some carrier responses included the following*:
- We may issue Standard male rates assuming no history of depression, anxiety or other issues.
- We may issue Preferred male rates pending on medical history.
- We may issue Preferred female rates pending medical records and that applicant is following post-surgery requirements such as counseling and hormone therapy.
- We cannot issue until 3 years post-surgery and would rate as female then.
- We would generally issue male rates, but will consider female if applicant feels it’s more appropriate.
- Whatever gender the applicant applies as is the one we will use.
- We always underwrite as the gender they were born with.
As you can see, no two insurance carriers are alike. Each company follows their own set of underwriting guidelines and works on a case-by-case basis. It is our drive at Quotacy to help you find the life insurance policy that fits you best.
Life insurance is important for everyone who has loved ones that depend upon them. Quotacy will shop your case with our many life insurance carriers to help you get the best policy for your individual situation. Life insurance offers great peace of mind knowing your loved ones will be protected when you are not around to do so. Take a moment to get free term life insurance quotes and see how little it could cost you to protect the ones you love most.
*Please note: The statements are the un-edited responses of underwriters at some of our carriers and do not reflect the views of Quotacy as a company.
Photo credit to ajusticenetwork