Principal Term Life Insurance Review
Principal Financial Group’s child rider excels at covering kids with health impairments. They are one of our favorite companies and All-Stars for doing the right thing for families.
Table of Contents
Save time & money. Let us do your comparison shopping.
More policy options
Quotacy is an independent life insurance broker. We sell policies from the nation’s most trusted insurers. By using our quoting tool, you’ll get multiple term life options from the best life insurance companies in minutes.
Get what’s right for you
Our agents match you with the right company for your health and lifestyle—so you get the best life insurance for you. This is part of our free service as a life insurance broker.
Spend less time shopping
No matter where you buy your policy, you’ll pay the same rates. Pricing for life insurance is regulated by government. Don’t waste time talking with multiple agents, use our free online comparison shopping tool to get your quotes.
Our focus is on you
As a life insurance broker, our focus is on finding you the best policy for your needs. Quotacy’s agents work on salary, not commission—so, we’re at your service.
Life insurance made easy
We’ll guide you through buying life insurance
Principal Company Overview
Des Moines, IA
Des Moines, IA
Principal Ratings & Awards
⇒ Scroll for more
|A.M. Best||Better Business Bureau||J.D. Power||Moody’s||Standard & Poor’s|
A.M. Best is an independent rating agency that ranks the financial strength of life insurance companies. Their best rating is an A++. Their worst is a D.
Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a non-profit that shares customer service feedback on businesses in the USA. BBB assigns ratings from A+ (highest) to F (lowest).
J.D. Power and Associates analyzes customers’ experiences with life insurance companies and ranks them on a scale from 1 to 1000.
Moody’s Investors Service is a leading provider of credit ratings, research, and risk analysis. Moody’s rating scale ranges from Aaa to C with 1, 2, and 3 to indicate whether the ranking is on the higher or lower end of that category.
Standard and Poor’s (S&P) is the world’s leading provider of credit ratings and creditworthiness. S&P’s scale ranges from AAA to D with + or – to define standing within each category.
Principal Financial Group was honored as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute in 2018.
Principal Financial Group is ranked 6th on Forbes’ list of America’s Best Employers for Diversity in 2017.
For the third consecutive year in 2017, Principal Financial Group achieved a 100% rating in the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index and earned recognition as one of the Best Places to Work for LGBT equality.
For the 16th time in 2017, Principal Financial Group was named one of the Top Companies for Executive Woman by the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE).
How much life insurance do you need?
Figure out your action plan with our needs calculator
To stand out in a competitive industry, most insurers focus on serving health or lifestyle niches.
Principal is excellent for:
- Accelerated Underwriting
- Aviation & Pilots (Student Pilots)
- Child Rider
- Healthy Individuals
Principal’s child rider excels at covering kids with health impairments. They are one of our favorite companies and All-Stars for doing the right thing for families. Their accelerated underwriting uses a combination of underwriting expertise and technology to get you covered faster. For some applicants, it eliminates the need for lab testing and medical exams, making the process of getting insured less intrusive and simple.
Principal Comparison Quotes
⇒ Scroll for more
|Age 30||Age 40||Age 50||Age 60||Age 70||Age 30||Age 40||Age 50||Age 60||Age 70|
Sample monthly premium quotes for a $500,000, 20-year term policy for healthy, non-smoking individuals. Pricing varies by gender (except in Montana). Women pay less for life insurance than men because they live longer on average.
Principal Features & Benefits
What we like
What could be better
- Accidental Death Benefit Rider not available.
- Every applicant must get a medical exam.
- Credit card payments are not accepted.
- Policy not delivered electronically.
Principal Policy Details
⇒ Scroll for more
|Guaranteed level premiums?||Yes|
|Term lengths available:||10, 15, 20, 30*|
|Premiums returned at end of term?||No|
|Riders available:||Accelerated Death Benefit, Premium Waiver for Disability, Child Rider|
|Accumulates cash value?||No|
|Policy loans available?||No|
|Minimum issue age:||20|
|Maximum issue age:||80|
|Minimum face amount:||$200,000|
|Missed payment grace period:||30 days**|
*10-year term available for ages 20-80 (tobacco users ages 20-75); 15-year term available for ages 20-75 (tobacco users ages 20-70); 20-year term available for ages 20-65; 30-year term available for ages 20-55 (tobacco users ages 20-50).
**State of issue, payment mode, and draft date can all impact the grace period end date. Your policy will state specifics.
» Compare: Term life insurance quotes
Increase your policy’s benefits with riders
Premium Waiver for Disability
*Available at additional cost
Principal will waive premium payments during a period of total disability lasting six consecutive months or more. The waived payments don’t have to be paid back. This rider is not available on all policies and cost varies by age.
Accelerated Death Benefit Rider
This rider—also known as a Terminal Illness Death Benefit Rider—is included in your policy at no charge. It gives you access to a portion of your policy’s death benefit, if you are diagnosed with a terminal illness resulting in 12 months or less to live.
Wondering what types of riders are beneficial?
Principal Policy Service
- Customer Service: (800) 986-3343
- Fax: (866) 885-0390
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:00 AM-6:00 PM Central
Payment Mailing Address
Principal Financial Group
PO Box 10499
Des Moines, IA 50306
Manage your policy online
- Visit https://www.principal.com.
- Click on Log In in the upper right hand corner.
- Choose Personal from the drop-down menu.
- Click the blue Register Now near the center of the screen.
- Proceed through prompts in order to establish online username and password.
What you can do online
- Make payments.
- View your policy and its status.
- Update your contact information.
- Access policy change forms.
The Fine Print
Guidelines & Exclusions
- For a 10-year term, you can convert into any Principal permanent product within the first seven years or by age 70—whichever is earlier.
- For a 15-year term, you can convert into a permanent policy within the first 12 years or by age 70—whichever is earlier.
- For a 20-year term, you can convert into a permanent policy within the first 15 years or by age 70—whichever is earlier.
- For a 30-year term, you can convert into a permanent policy within the first 20 years or by age 70—whichever is earlier.
- Partial conversions are allowed.
Accelerated Death Benefit Rider
- Also known as Terminal Illness Death Benefit Advance.
- Can be accelerated up to 75% of the death benefit—not to exceed $1,000,000.
- When death benefit payout is accelerated, there is a processing fee of $150.
- Newborn child covered when 14 days old.
- Coverage options range from $5000 to $25,000.
- Rider can be converted into any permanent policy for coverage up to three times that of the rider.
- Principal does not require any medical or lifestyle information when approving a child rider.
Premium Waiver for Disability Rider
- Rider terminates at age 65.
Updated: March 2018
More term life insurance reviews
We recommend without hesitation every company reviewed on Quotacy. When you comparison shop, the death benefit amount that your loved ones would receive and the cost of the policy are the most important factors to consider. If you have any questions about the best life insurance companies for you, contact Quotacy. We'll gladly help you evaluate your life insurance options.
Protect your loved ones
We make life insurance simple